I've written before about the benefits of living in a gated community, but people often ask me which gated communities I recommend. Truth be told, there aren't many communities in Sarasota that I can't recommend, but there are a few that have some added perks that really make them feel like home for a lot of people. So let me tell you about some of the finer features our various gated communities have to offer.
- The Venetian Golf and River Club is more than just a community, it's a brilliant development. Located just east of I-75 and north of Venice, Florida, it boasts 600 lush acres devoted to conservation areas, spectacular golf landscapes, native wildlife habitats, wetlands, and sparkling lakes, along with a breathtaking 70-acre nature park. For golfers and nature lovers alike, this place feels like paradise.
- For those who want more water with the paradise, Pelican Cove is a 75-acre, gated community on Little Sarasota Bay featuring 731 condominiums within six smaller subdivisions of the Pelican Cove community. The condominiums have outstanding views of either the water, preserve, flower gardens, one of the community pools, or large lawn areas. Because Pelican Cove was built in the late 1970s and early 1980s, it is ideal for those interested in buying below market price and updating to their tastes.
- Palmer Ranch has been developed with gated communities in mind, and The Palisades may well be the crown jewel of the Palmer Ranch community. With only 43 single-family, no-maintenance, luxury homes, many believe it to be the most desirable community in southwest Florida. For those fortunate enough to call this home, they have a choice of two, three, and four bedroom configurations.
- Botanica at Palmer Ranch Condominium is a bit more moderately priced and comprised of 172 townhouses built in the mid-2000s. There are six different floor plans ranging from 1,600 to 2,300 square feet, each unit has either a one or two car garage, and second floor units have private elevators. There are two large pools on the property as well as a 4000-foot clubhouse.
- When people usually think about gated communities, they are often thinking about Marbella, the most intimate gated community on the Palmer Ranch estate. Featuring 139 charming Spanish-style residences with floor plans ranging from 1,600 to 3,300 square feet, the community is surrounded by TPC Prestancia and the Country Club of Sarasota, The Serendipity Racquet Club, and the YMCA with its 10-mile trail, a state-of-the-art fitness center, pool, and paved path for running and biking. For those with active lifestyles, Marbella is perfect.
- As the only gated, 24-hour security, single-family community on Siesta Key, the Sanderling Club is home to some of the most spectacular beach homes on the Sun Coast. Access to the beach is deeded. Many of the homes are on the National Register of historic homes, and each member has a private Paul Rudolph-designed, gulf front cabana, access to a private marina with deep-water boat slips, and one clay and three hard court tennis courts. The Sanderling Club is an incredible expression of “the good life.”
- Yes, there's a lot of quiet east of the Interstate at Laurel Oak Country Club. The two golf courses were designed by Gary Player to wind through the homes in this mature community. The club also features 12 tennis courts, a full-size heated swimming pool and a beautiful 45,000 square foot clubhouse. Over 400 single-family homes ranging in price from $300K to $1 million are spread throughout 800 peaceful acres to create quite a pleasant way to live.
- And lastly, for those who want to be on the cutting edge of modern sustainability, Edgewater Village is a certified “green” gated community bordering the 160-acre Lake Uihlein in Lakewood Ranch. With amazing lake views and closeness to Lakewood Ranch Town Center and the polo grounds, Edgewater Village, with prices ranging from $275,000 to $550,000, and its internal gated townhome community, The Moorings, is helping to shape the Lakewood Ranch community through their improved development models in community development.
These are just a few of the gated communities throughout Sarasota. Many of them are maintenance-free and ready to be moved into. Peruse all gated communities here.
What's important to you in a gated community, and how I can I help find the right one for you? Contact me.
Sarasota Area Real Estate Specialist