You’ve spent months checking and re-checking your to-do list. You’ve touched up the paint on your walls, shined your hardwood floors, steam-cleaned your carpets, replaced all the light bulbs in the house. You’ve fixed a leaky faucet. You’ve planted new shrubs. Your house is finally ready to sell, and you are exhausted. Getting your home ready to put on the market is stressful enough; a great Realtor will juggle the intricacies and phases of your home’s sale efficiently and reduce your stress. Here are six signs that you hired a great Realtor.
- Your agent listens to you. Any competent agent knows the business of selling homes, but a great Realtor takes time to sit with you in your home to discuss your goals. It’s your house, after all. Chances are, you’ve put a lot of love and sweat into making it what it is, and you want to put the same care into selling it. Great Realtors will make sure they understand your timeframe, your desired selling price, and what improvements you’re willing to make before assembling a plan for selling your house.
- Your Realtor has a well-informed sales plan and presents it clearly to you. This plan should include listings and sale prices for other properties in your neighborhood, ideas for effective staging, a professional photography session, and how your property will be advertised: signage, listing venues, open houses, and walk-throughs for other agents. You should know what the selling process is going to look like, including possible contingencies, before the process begins.
- Your Realtor is a good communicator. When you call your Realtor, you should get a response within 24 hours. Your Realtor does not need to be on call, but he or she should get back to you in a timely fashion. A great Realtor will track interest in your home, make certain your home is being shown, and follow up with you about showings. He or she will let you know what potential buyers love about your home and what concerns they might have.
- Your Realtor understands the legal and financial aspects of buying or selling a house, including financing and contracts. Multi-page contracts can be daunting. A great Realtor will walk you through your agent agreement and sales contract step by step. A great Realtor understands lender information for all possible scenarios, from first-time homebuyers to cash deals to mortgage intricacies.
- Your Realtor has a pleasant personality. An effective Realtor should be warm yet professional. Not only should you feel comfortable chatting with your Realtor, but potential buyers should as well. Great Realtors not only know how to highlight your home’s selling points, but they also know how to make people feel comfortable peeking into a stranger’s house. Great Realtors, like great doctors, have a bedside manner to match their training and skill.
- Finally, great Realtors are made, not born. While a new agent will likely have the desire and drive to sell your home, experienced Realtors are more likely to intimately understand the market in which they work, have proven track records, and will have developed a solid list of connections in your community. For this reason, a great Realtor is a full-time agent, one who has a dedicated career in the field.
Don’t settle for an agent who causes you stress. You are paying good money for someone to handle your real estate needs, and a great Realtor will make the process as simple as possible.
If you'd like more information from a real estate professional about selling your home, get in touch with Julian directly via the Sarasota Property Finders Contact Page.
Sarasota Area Real Estate Specialist