It's summer in Sarasota. Do you know what that means? It means that the snowbirds have gone north because they are afraid of melting in the heat.
It also means that we locals have the place to ourselves. So if you've been holed up all winter not wanting to brave the traffic, this is the perfect opportunity to get out and explore what an incredible place you live in. If you haven't had the chance yet, there are a few things you should take advantage of before the snowbirds get back in the fall.
- Go to the Beach – This is a rather obvious one, but with Siesta Beach down to the last phase of parking improvements, it's a great time to go check out the progress and take advantage of the new parking spaces. Of course, Siesta is not the only beach around, so if you haven't been to Caspersen Beach, Stump Pass Beach, Coquina Beach, or the other treasures that locals usually don't talk about for fear of having them overrun, now's a good time to get some new sand between your toes.
- Eat Out – One of the most wonderful things about Sarasota is the cuisine. And while we've attracted many of the big chains, the local eateries are really where it's at. With more original restaurants than just about any county in Florida, Sarasota in the summer is the most sensational smorgasbord you'll ever experience, and with the snowbirds gone, you can just walk up and get an immediate table pretty much anywhere. Bon appétit.
- Hit the Water – Whether you prefer to go by kayak, stand-up paddleboard, sailboat, or yacht, summer on the water in Sarasota is a must. Especially on those hot days, jumping into the warm waters of Sarasota Bay is a transcendent experience.
- Hang with the Animals – It's amazing to see dolphins and manatees out in the wild, and in Sarasota you're also able to see them up close and in person. Now is a great time to go visit Mote Marine Aquarium or Sarasota Jungle Gardens to get some perspective on the other life forms that share paradise with us.
- Catch a Show – Yes, even though snowbirds have flown back to cooler climates, the show must go on. The Players, Florida Studio Theatre, the Asolo, the Van Wezel, and the new Urbanite Theatre are still offering some really great shows throughout the summer -- and actors still need to eat, whatever the season. So go support your local artists and enjoy yourself.
These are just a few things you can do to enjoy the summer and the decreased traffic here in Sarasota. Considering that you live in paradise, this list could be much, much longer. The point is that there's plenty of great stuff to do around here, so get out there and live the life you've imagined.
Julian is a happy Sarasota resident and your go-to guy for information about the perks of living in paradise. For more, get in touch with Julian directly via the Sarasota Property Finders Contact Page.
Sarasota Area Real Estate Specialist